JoeDeclassified.com

The Hidden World of G.I.Joe
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unproduced Action Force Concepts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:57 pm 

Listening to a couple of the Spec Ops Podcast, I'm aware many here are big fans of unproduced concepts, so I thought I'd share a couple here that were first shown publically at Roll Out Roll Call in March as part of the 'Leave No Man Behind' presentation.

These are two unused Palitoy Z-Force concepts, the first being a modular/ pod base that were individual toys that could be clipped together to form a larger one. These two sketches show missle, radar and gun turrets:

These concepts were proposed in June 1983, but were abandoned and re-colours of the Hasbro Pac-Rats were issued instead.

The second is from August 1984 and features a larger cross terrain vehicle. There is another sketch which features a ramp with a Pac-Rat loading into the rear of the vehicle suggesting a troop/ equipment transport. Sadly it was around this time the Palitoy Design Department was made redundant and the move over to full Hasbro product was intended, but cool to see 'what could have been' from the UK designers:

These will form part of a book I'm working on all about Action Force, but goes to show that some of the ideas planned were in no way a watered down version of GI-Joe and a strong product line in it's own right, however in the meantime enjoy :)

Dave

Post subject: Re: Unproduced Action Force Concepts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:19 pm 
Booth Staff
Booth Staff

Big up Dave Tree!!! That cross terrain beast is the business!!!! I WANT ONE. hehehh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:52 pm 

Awesome stuff! This book you speak of, will it be more about preproduction, unreleased items or an overall history of Action Force? (I think I would like either subject :) )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:53 am 

Hey there, the plan is to cover the Palitoy years by working with several ex-Palitoy employees, so the book is both reference to the toys produced and also the concepts and toys that weren't.

Palitoy were under tight budgets, which is why they re-cycled so many limbs in their 5-point articulation figures, but Action Force was their second best selling toyline after Star Wars, sadly General Mills via Kenner pulled the plug on the development by making the UK design and development team obsolete, so it really never had the full chance to reach it's potential in it's short 3 year history. The plan was never to fully make the transition to repackaged Joe products, it was forced decision from two tiers above. Who knows how far they could have taken it, but hopefully will make a nice read/ reference book.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am 

Wow, those are 300 kinds of badass! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:38 am 

I am so much more excited for your book now Dave. Amazing stuff. The base is sort of "Battle Z Force 2000."

Any chance some of the designers came back in the 1990's? Some of the design elements, and style reminds me of the unproduced Action Man drawings I've seen.

Roger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:10 pm 

Awesome designs. Thanks for posting these. Your book sounds cool.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:34 pm 
Joe Declassified
Joe Declassified

Dave, those pictures are outstanding. I hope you don't mind me front-paging these - they're simply too beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:00 am 

Nomad wrote:
Dave, those pictures are outstanding. I hope you don't mind me front-paging these - they're simply too beautiful.

Sure no probs :)