Joe Declassified and Joe Customs have joined together to bring you the ultimate custom contest! Here at Declassified, you know we love the history of the G.I. Joe brand and we love the production process – which leads to your chance to recreate unproduced Joe toys in order to win some pretty swell prizes.
Custom contest rules:
1. Customs may be figures or vehicles.
2. Any customs created for any prior contest, or that have been shown prior on the web are automatically disqualified. Customizers should submit a photo with their entry that shows their construction materials with any dated item (magazine, etc) created after the contest start date.
3. Customs must be of an unfinished Hasbro product (Rocky, for example). Anything that ever existed in any state of design is eligible. Please see the references at the bottom for further inspiration.
4. All entries are due no later than 15April2013.
5. All prize-winning customs become property of Joe Declassified, and will be auctioned off, with proceeds going to help support future Declassified endeavors. If contest winners do not wish to participate in the fundraising process, we will select the next highest rated customs to take their place.
6. No more than 3 custom entries per individual.
7. Entries MUST include real name, any online screen names, city and state of origin. All entry photos should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include no more than 10 photos per entry. Any questions or clarifications of contest rules should be sent to the same email address.
8. All judges and Joe Declassified staff are automatically disbarred from entry.
1st prize: Carded wave 14 Storm Shadow
2nd prize: all 13 Club FSS figures (these will ship to the winner after all 13 have been released)
3rd prize: Set of white and red SDCC Jinxes
4th-6th prizes: Red SDCC Jinx
Judging will be on a rating system among several categories. Points assigned by each judge individually will be averaged to determine a winner.
Judges will include:
Joe Declassified Staff
Joe Customs Staff
Chris Chung – Admin of Joesightings.com
Fred Meyer – Owner/Admin of Joe Battlelines.com
Fran O’Boyle – Owner/Admin of Hisstank.com
Justin Bell – Owner/Admin of GeneralsJoes.com
Terry Dizard – Admin of YoJoe.com
John Warden of Hasbro
Judging categories are:
Faithfulness – How accurately the custom reflects whatever existing source material is available. Difficulty – Customs accomplished through minor parts swapping vs. those that require parts fabrication.
Obscurity – The lesser known the concept, the better -bonus points for revealing unknown sourece material.
Part usage – How creative the customizers parts choices are. Paint – Painting execution and detailing.
Buyability/Playability – How much does the finished product look like something likely to sell, as well as durability to play.
The sites listed below all include some preproduction material, but are by no means intended as an all-inclusive list.
Additionally, not only do we have big prizes and big name judges, but true to Declassified form we also have some big reveals to accompany the custom contest. Over the next few weeks, in conjunction with Joe Customs, we will be revealing some previously unseen G.I.Joe 80’s history in the form of concept art images and sculpts. These concepts can be used for your customs for this contest as they are all unproduced material. See the sneak peak images below, and get ready for more to come. Keep an eye both at JoeDeclassified and JoeCustoms over the next few weeks for more inspiration and history!